Saturday, July 19, 2008

You Can Catch More Flies With Honey!

I read about a woman who had recently moved to a small town. She had to go into a local drugstore and was absolutely appalled by the way she was treated. The pharmacist, who was also the store's owner, was much too slow, she didn't like the attitude of the clerk, and there were several other problems that frankly ticked her off.
Later that afternoon, she began to complain to her next-door neighbor about the service she had received in the pharmacy.
The neighbor seemed to be concerned and said, "Listen...I know Tom, the pharmacist, really well. Maybe I should talk to him for you."
The woman said "I wish you would!"
A few days later, she had cause to go into the little drugstore again, and this time everything was totally different. The pharmacist was pleasant and efficient, the clerk--who was his wife--was friendly and helpful, and it was a complete contrast to her first visit to the store.
When she got back home she called the neighbor and told her what had happened. "I guess you talked to him, just like you said you would."
"I sure did."
"And you really let him have it, huh--told him how unhappy I had been?"
There was a brief pause on the other end of the line. "Well...no...no exactly."
"Well, what did you tell him?"
"I told him you were absolutely delighted by the service he gave you. I told him that you loved his little store, and you planned to be a regular customer."
Well, I'm not sure if the story is true, but I know that the point it illustrates is true. Positive tactics work much better than negative tactics when it comes to changing behavior.

Keep it Positive--Kevin

Taken from "Sex Begins in the Kitchen" by Dr Kevin Leman-Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group

1 comment:

Tammy Bruce Edwards said...

I love this story! So true. I tutor kids who have a hard time. I'm always trying to think of something positive to say that counteracts all the negatives they hear. Consequently, they love coming for tutoring and they work doubly hard to please me! Praise is the best motivator. Praise to God for giving us all gifts that can bring Him glory. Let's all look for them in others and praise them!